Invitation to the 21st Conference
21st ETH-Conference on Combustion Generated Nanoparticles
June 19th - 22nd, 2017 at ETH Zurich, Switzerland
Focus Event: Will Diesel Technology Survive?
The ETH Conference on Combustion-Generated Nanoparticles serves as an interdisciplinary platform for expert discussions on all aspects of nanoparticles, freshly emitted from various sources, aged in ambient air, technical mitigation aspects, impact of particles on health, environment and climate and particle legislation. The conference brings together representatives from research, industry and legislation.
- Ambient air particles
- Aircraft and airports
- Biomass combustion and biofuels
- Environmental impact and global warming
- Health effects
- Legislation and enforcement
- Emission control of diesel and gasoline engines
- Nanoparticle formation and transformation
- Non-road sources
- Particle filter and deNOx technologies
- Secondary emissions
- Particle metrology and chemical characterization
Opening and Key Notes
The conference will be opened by Giovanni D'Urbano, Head of Traffic Section, FOEN. Invited keynote speaker is Gerrit Kadijk, TNO. His talk is entitled "High emission risks despite highly efficient emission control".
Focus Event: Will Diesel Technology survive?
Today Diesel engines seem indispensable for worldwide mobility, ocean going ships, construction machinery, HDVs and LDVs. Claimed pros are fuel economy, flexibility also for future fuels and durability. Cons are toxic exhausts, classified as class 1 carcinogen by the WHO. Technical fakes, frauds and manipulation resulting in high real world emissions damaged the reputation. Policy makers regard replacements as the solution and urge for better legislation. Can these problems be solved in time, even realizing a turnaround? Let's face the facts!
The session will provide new experimental and epidemiological results about health consequences of air pollution. Special emphasis will be on the health effects of ultrafine particles in the ambient air.
Papers and Posters
- We invite you to submit abstracts for oral and poster presentations online according to instructions given on the registration page (deadlines see below).
- Abstracts must contain new information and results related to the above mentioned topics.
- Best poster presentations will be awarded.
- Presenters at the conference will be invited to submit full length papers for publication after peer-review, in a special issue of the journal "Emission Control Science and Technology".
- All contributions (including pdf copies of talks, posters and abstracts) will be published on the conference page. Submission of an abstract includes your agreement for publication on the conference website.
Scientific and Organizing Committee
See contacts page.
The exhibition on particle measurement instrumentation and emission control devices is an integral part of the conference.
Due to space limitations, we recommend early registration with the exhibitor application form (doc) for best booth positions. For further information contact Dr. L. Cachón, Phone: +49 7653 681 50 62, LCachon@testo.de.
- Abstract submission for oral and poster presentations: March 24, 2017
- Exhibition application: March 24, 2017
- Information on paper/poster acceptance: April 21, 2017
- Registration for participants: May 19, 2017
The conference welcome party will take place on Monday, June 19, at 7 pm in the Faculty restaurant on top of the ETH main building.
On Tuesday, June 20, an exhibitor reception takes place.
All participants are cordially invited to join the sponsored conference dinner on Wednesday evening, June 21, at the ETH restaurant. Registration for the welcome party and the conference dinner is mandatory.
Registration for the welcome party: Online registration page.
Registration for the conference dinner: At the conference (desk).
Registration and Conference Fee
Registration is required under the online registration page.
No participation fee will be charged. This is possible only thanks to the generous financial support of our sponsors.
For questions related to the online registration please contact
Phone: +41 44 268 20 71
Travel information and Accommodations
Online hotel reservation is possible via the registration page.
General information is also available on CH Tourism, www.myswitzerland.com
Dr. Andreas Mayer, TTM
Phone: +41 56 496 64 14