24th ETH-Conference on Combustion Generated Nanoparticles
June 22nd to 25th, 2020 at ETH, Zürich, Switzerland
Focus Event: Combustion and Climate Change
The ETH Conference on Combustion-Generated Nanoparticles #ETHNPC2020 serves as an interdisciplinary platform for expert discussions on all aspects of nanoparticles, freshly emitted from various sources, aged in ambient air, technical mitigation aspects, impact of particles on health, environment and climate and particle legislation. The conference brings together representatives from research, industry and legislation.
- Aircraft, marine and other non-road sources
- Ambient air particles, secondary pollutants
- Biomass-, biofuel- and synfuel combustion
- Emission control of combustion engines
- Emission up-grade and PTI for in-use vehicles
- Future legislation and enforcement
- Impact on climate
- Environmental and health effects
- Nanoparticle formation and transformation
- Exhaust aftertreatment systems
- Nanoparticle metrology and chemical characterization
- Occupational exposure and prevention
- Nanoparticle chemistry and toxicology
Opening Ceremony and Key Note
The conference will be opened by Prof.Dr.Detlef Günther, vice president ETH Zürich. The keynote lecture will be given by Prof. Dr. Thomas Stocker, head of the climate and environmental physics division, University of Bern.
Focus Event: Combustion and Climate Change
Combustion engines (CE) are produced at large scales and applied worldwide to transport goods and people. The IPCC estimated that 7.0 Gt CO2 eq. of direct greenhouse gas emissions were released by the transport sector in 2010. This corresponded to 23% of the total energyrelated CO2 emissions. Without aggressive mitigation policies, transport emissions are expected to reach 12 Gt CO2 eq. by 2050. Thus decoupling of the transport sector from CO2 emissions will be a major challenge to tackle.
The session will provide new experimental and epidemiological results about health consequences of combustion emissions. Special emphasis will be on neuronal effects and occupational exposure.
Papers and Posters
- We invite you to submit abstracts for oral and poster presentations online according to instructions given on the online form (deadlines see below).
- Abstracts must contain new information and results related to the aforementioned topics.
- Best poster presentations will be awarded, with prize money and certificates.
- Presenters at the conference will be invited to submit full length papers for publication after peer-review, in the journal "Emission Control Science and Technology".
- All contributions (including pdf copies of talks, posters and abstracts) will be published on the conference page. Submission of an abstract includes your agreement for publication on the conference website.
Scientific and Organizing Committee
See contacts page.
The exhibition on particle measurement instrumentation (PMI) and emission control devices (ECDs) is an important part of the conference. For registration use the exhibitor application form (doc).
For further information contact:
Prof. Dr. H. Burtscher (PMI), Phone: +41 56 202 74 73, firstname.lastname@example.org
V. Hensel/CEO-VERT (ECDs), Phone: +49 174 864 64 64, email@example.com.
- Abstract submission for oral and poster presentations: March 27, 2020
- Exhibition application: March 27, 2020
- Information on paper/poster acceptance by May 4, 2020
- Registration for participants: May 22, 2020
The conference welcome party will take place on Monday, June 22, at 7 pm in the Faculty Restaurant on top the ETH main building (see map).
On Tuesday, June 23, an exhibitor reception takes place.
All participants are cordially invited to join the free conference dinner on Wednesday evening, June 24, at the ETH restaurant, which is paid for by our sponsors.
Registration for the welcome party and the conference dinner is mandatory: Online registration page.
Registration and Conference Fee
Registration is required under the online registration page.
No participation fee will be charged. This is possible only thanks to the generous financial support of our sponsors.
For questions related to the online registration please contact
Anita Anselmi, Phone: +41 44 268 20 71, firstname.lastname@example.org
Travel information and Accommodations
Online hotel reservation is possible via the registration page.
General information is also available on CH Tourism, www.myswitzerland.com
Dr. Andreas Mayer, TTM, Phone: +41 56 496 64 14, email@example.com
Under hostage of
ETH and Federal Office for the Environment.